Locked[12007]The server name could not be resolved

Author
slands10
  • Total Posts : 76
  • Reward points: 0
2007/02/14 07:23:23 (permalink)

[12007]The server name could not be resolved

Hi guys,
   I am having a little trouble with the consistency of my checks routine, specifically with web site checks using the HTTP/s Enhanced Monitor.  Almost all the sites I monitor externally to our network return the error "[12007]The server name could not be resolved" at somepoint throughout the week.  When they are flagged up, we check noth internally and externally that the website is working correctly before disregarding the message. 
   This isn't so much of a problem, it does become a problem though when we compile reports at the end of a month and the customer queries why have thier website not got 100% success rates, as they should? 
   If you could suggest anything that may help I would be very gratefull, thanks :)

edit - here's the stats:
IPS v5.0.30
Win Server 2k3
IPS running 24/7
post edited by slands10 - 2007/02/14 07:24:52

2 Replies Related Threads

IPSentrySupport
    Support Guy
    • Total Posts : 2079
    RE: [12007]The server name could not be resolved 2007/02/14 10:21:28 (permalink)
    This appears to be a DNS lookup timeout issue since the error that is displayed is a winsock error which is being returned from the external winsock back to IPSentry via the IE engine during a web lookup. 

Are the DNS servers for the computer on the local LAN or on the same server?

One option you can use to determine whether the DNS server is failing lookup within the alotted lookup time is to place a basic TCP/IP port check test using the domain name rather than an IP as a parent of one of the failing machines. 

If DNS resolution is the culprit, you will see failures on the basic port check and none on the HTTP test.
    If DNS isn't the culprit and you have IE7 installed, then the culprit is possibly the IE engine.

---
    IPSentry Support
    RGE, Inc.
    http://www.ipsentry.com
    http://forum.ipsentry.com

IPSentry® is a Registered Trademark of RGE, Inc.
    slands10
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: [12007]The server name could not be resolved 2007/02/14 11:43:37 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Thanks for that reply, I have investigated further after your suggestion of DNS problems, it seams that on our external connection pinging the 2 DNS servers that are specified can result in dropped packets and lengthy replies, so looking into that now.
    Thanks for the push in the right direction!  Much appreciated, cheers again :)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5